1913 Consecration Of Church

This was originally compiled by the Reverend James W. Koons in 1997 and updated in 2004 and 2012.
Submitted by Donna Brooke.

An extensive renovation of the church included the theatre-style sloping of the floor. With the installation of the magnificent altar, St. Patrick’s Church became recognized as one of the most prominent churches in the state. The parish was now debt free.

Bishop Herman J. Alerding bestowed upon this church the honor of “Consecration.” This was the first church in Fort Wayne to receive this privilege.

The visible sign of a consecrated church is the twelve crosses that have been affixed to the walls. Above the crosses were placed scones, each one holding a blessed candle. The twelve candles are to burn annually on the anniversary of the parish feast of consecration. Each cross and candle marks the sacred spot anointed with Holy Chrism by the bishop. This custom calls to mind the walls of the heavenly Jerusalem, on whose foundations were inscribed “the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb” (Rv. 21:14).

The memory of Monsignor Joseph Delaney remains as the great builder of St. Patrick’s Square.